This week, I’m talking with author Jenna Birch about a new modern dating phenomenon called The Love Gap, a term she coined to define the reasons why men don’t always pursue the smart, ambitious women they claim to want.
By the end of this episode, we’ll explore how generations of male and female relationship roles have influenced modern dating, and we’ll learn how to identify what Jenna calls the Real Deal, or someone who’s ready for a real relationship. Lastly, Jenna will offer her best dating advice for both men and women, and she’ll address one of the most common questions she hears:
“How do I know if I’m settling?”
What you'll learn
- What is “The Love Gap?”
- How do you know if someone is “ready” for a real, committed relationship?
- How have traditional gender norms in relationships influenced modern dating?
- Is there really a place for online dating apps to build meaningful connections?
- What dating advice does Jenna have for someone looking for a long-term relationship?
- How do you know if you're settling?
- What are the three types of connection that all successful relationships share?
This week's guest
Jenna Birch is a health and lifestyle journalist. Her work appears frequently in print and online publications including Cosmopolitan, Glamour, Marie Claire, Psychology Today, Health, and many many more.
She’s here today to talk about her first book called The Love Gap: A Radical Plan to Win in Life and Love, a research-based guide to navigating the newest dating phenomenon–“the love gap”–and a trailblazing action plan to help smart, confident, career-driven women find (and keep) their match.
This week's prompt
Share your modern dating stories
Jenna is always gathering dating data, so we’d love to hear more about your experience as a modern dater in the comments section.
Plus, you should all read Jenna’s book! We barely skimmed the surface of some of my top takeaways today, and I’d highly recommend it to anyone attempting to date nowadays. After you read through, let us know which parts stuck out to you in the comments below.
Also available on your favorite podcast player
Life's tough, dude. Let's figure it out together.